Elevated Wooden plank on the Balcony edge for plants

Old 05-05-18, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Elevated Wooden plank on the Balcony edge for plants

Hello,
I'm a novice with DIY stuff. I need a wooden plank about 3' x 1.5' run across the balcony at one side. The goal is to have an elevated area to keep plants safe from my curious 1-year-old daughter.
I was thinking I can take the leverage of railing's top on one side by cutting off a proportional rectangle in one corner.
On the other end, I do not have any leverage, so I was thinking maybe a couple of bolts drilled into a brick wall and the plank would sit on the exposed part of the bolts outside the wall.

Please see attached images for my balcony view and my idea with a red sketch. Please advice.
Not sure how to measure & cut and if its a good idea or if there is any better ideas.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-18, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
IMO it would be better to have a leg under the portion next to the brick instead of drilling holes into the brick. .... especially since at some point you'll probably no longer have a use for the shelf.

At 18" wide you'll need to use either multiple boards or plywood. That would require frame work under it.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 05-05-18, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your input. I will take them into consideration. I will keep the community posted.

Old 05-05-18, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Why not hang the shelf with part of it extending past the rail? Would the management call you on that?

Otherwise, yeah a support pole or 2 . Just attach a 2x4 to the inside edge under the shelf, then extend 1 or 2 legs of the proper length to the floor and attach to the back of the 2x4 support. Like a giant T with a wide top, or a π symbol with the 2 vertical legs further apart.

Basically 3 lengths of 2x4 (3 cuts) and some deck screws and you're done.