How to repair/clean threshold?

Old 05-06-18, 06:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to repair/clean threshold?

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to clean up this threshold "mess?.. There is the Great Stuff insulating foam sealant under the threshold to fill in a gap, but as you can see it was a little messy and now I need to clean it off some of the concrete in front of the door, and I'm not quite sure how to go about that..

My original plan to clean it up was to sand the foam away with a small black and decker sander, then get a small piece of painted wood and attach it to the bottom of the threshold to cover it up and make it look nice. Does this sound like a good idea or is there a better way of going about this? Thanks

Here is link to the picture of my threshold.
​​​​https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcc7dmsrng...75129.jpg?dl=0

Old 05-06-18, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would cut most of the excess off with a utility knife (or oscillating multi tool if you have one). Then they make wire wheels and wire paint strippers that you can put on a drill that would take care of most of the rest. You would have to be careful around the threshold and trim so that you didn't scratch it... maybe tape it off with some painters tape to help protect it. I bet by the time you are done it wouldn't need much more than a nice neat bead of polyurethane concrete sealant.

Old 05-06-18, 08:32 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I like the idea of replacing the gap with a piece of wood. But it will need to be pressure treated for ground contact. And the ends that will be cut to fit it in will need to treated with a paint on preservative.

But...XSp' idea is easier and less expensive. If the gap is wide then you can fill it in with cement. Looks like a cement walk way up to the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: