Outside corner deck stairs

Old 05-14-18, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside corner deck stairs

Hoping someone has an answer for me on this. Iím building stair around a 90 degree corner on my deck. My rise is 6 13/16Ē and my run is 10.5Ē. I need a make a corner stringer (doubled 2x12) and I learned from this forum that I need to multiply the run by 1.414...simple enough.

Now to attach this to the corner of the deck I want to notch the double stringer to fit flush around the corner. Question #1, do I need to add some addition length to the back to acomodate this notch or is that already factored in the 1.414 multiplier?

question #2, I want to bevel the leading edge of the rise to provide a flat surface to mount the kick plate, do I need to add any material to accommodate this?

I donít think I do for #2 but #1 I believe I might be short if I notch it.

I havent been able able to find any info on this, let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-18, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but I'm not sure I understand your question
You'd need a landing where the stairs make the corner which IMO makes the stair construction [2 straight sets] fairly simple.

Old 05-15-18, 05:02 AM
Thee is no mid-way landing if that’s what your referring to...it’s only 2 steps. It’s just the mounting of a flat edge to a 90 degree corner. It’s easier to cut the back of the stringer with a 45 degree on each board so they form a 90 dgree cup and sit nicely into the corner. I think that by doing this I will remove approx 1” and I wanted to know if I’m correct and how to deal with it.

Old 05-15-18, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
Are you saying that you want to use winder stairs around the 90 degree corner?

Mark is saying you would be better off creating a landing at the corner.

https://goo.gl/images/UEZfiw

Winder stair jacks do not follow the usual rise/run of the rest of the staircase and it is not possible to cut them into the same stringer as the rest of your steps.

Old 05-15-18, 07:38 AM
You guys are thinking too grandiose. Somthing like this.

https://pin.it/ob45hb6yk6hsoe

I figured out how to calculate the treads for this corner stringer already, I’m just curious if the 1.414 multiplier factors in the bevel for the risers and a notch to attach it to the deck. It’s a bad diagram below but option B is the notch that gives me a good mounting surface bit my cutting it like this my stringer might be too short. I figure someone here has donte this before and knows if I need to add to the back of the stringer and by how much.

[img]webkit-fake-url://40e77c6f-1ea9-4a05-be1d-21c0e8942530/imagejpeg[/img]