Bringing life to my wood bench swing

Old 05-20-18, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bringing life to my wood bench swing

I have a bench that is sitting on my lawn. The bench swing is exposed to all the elements and it's starting to fade in color. The bench is attached to a metal frame which I'll talk about in a few minutes. What should I do to bring some color back into this bench and protect it for years to come? I probably should not add lacquer since people will be sitting on it in the heat but what can I do? Now for my frame the areas where the paint has started peeling seems to have some type of growth occurring. It's kind of like Moss or some type of plant you would find in a swamp. What should I do to remove this and why is that even occurring? I just need to get that removed and send the bad areas and repaint it white. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-18, 09:02 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?

Old 05-20-18, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Likely the typical bench sold everywhere from Walmart to Home Depot. If it's heavy where the metal ends are, it's cast iron...not so heavy, cast aluminum. Often painted black with a fake verdigris look, also seen them painted sort of a coppery color.

The slats are probably held with brass bolts and nuts?

Anyway, remove all the slats...sand the old finish and weathered surface off, recoat with some sort of exterior oil finish. I've seen everything from spar varnish to Thompsons waterseal to some sort of oil finish like boiled linseed oil. All work equally well initially, but how long they last and prep for reapplication is the issue.

As to the metal, most times you can just use a wire brush wheel on a drill to remove all the loose stuff, clean it well with a solvent like paint thinner and put a coat of something like Rustoleum oil base from a can. A hammered finish normally works best to conceal any flaws in the prep work. It's very thick and messy, but it offers good protection. A painting glove over a rubber glove makes quick work of odd shapes and angles.

Old 05-21-18, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Deck stains are usually best for bench that see a lot of weather. Spar poly is another option but the UV rays can be hard on it and there may be more prep work when it comes time to recoat.