Ledger installation on brick

Old 05-16-01, 09:03 AM
Visiting Guest
My house has a brick facade over wood framing. I'm debating whether to install a ledger board or build a free-standing deck with additional posts/piers on the house side. Does anyone have a recommendation on which is better? If I do install a ledger board, can I put lag screws in the mortar joints? Or would it be better to try to drill all the way thru to the wood frame and through the wood header and put in bolts? Also, how do you install flashing on brick? How do you secure the upper edge of the flashing to the wall? Do you partially grind out the mortar seam, embed the flashing edge in the seam, then remortar? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-01, 01:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a contractor or pro, but you can do any of the three options that you choose.
Drill the mortar only with a masonry bit (much easier than drilling brick), either all the way through and use long lag bolts into the framing only (not the plywood) or use expandable lead plugs made for the purpose and use wood-thread lag bolts into them.
To flash a brick wall, use a masonry blade in a circular saw and cut a groove in the mortar. Bend a straight lip (about 1/2") to fit into the groove, and use plastic roofing cement under the flashing to hold it in place and seal it. You don't need to re-mortar.
This is the way that I do it, but maybe one of the pros here can help you with better suggestions.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-18-01, 09:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Old Guy,
1.Let me ask Belgian's question again...is flashing required when you fasten the ledger board to the brick veneer?
2.I have read where you can put several large washers on the lag screws betweeen the ledger board and the brick which separates the ledger from the brick and allows water to flow. Any comments on that technique?
Thanks, Bob Wa

Old 05-18-01, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

If you drill all the way through the mortar to lag bolt into the framing of the house, you need to make sure that the bolt hole is caulked good as the bolts are installed, or otherwise water-proofed with flashing, to prevent damage.
If you use lead anchors, or build it free-standing against the brick wall, I see no reason to seal or flash the ledger board and bolts, as long as the brick facade is not penetrated.
The washers between the ledger board and brick wall seem like a good idea to allow drainage, if using anchors.
Again, I'm not a pro, but this is what I would do.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-18-01, 04:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile ledger on brick

Thanks, oldguy. I appreciate your taking the time to reply and share info.

Old 05-21-01, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Mr. Old Guy, Thanks. I'm 55...so I'm not a spring chicken!! Anyhow, to complete this subject, the brick facade or veneer on my house is two stories tall and is attached by small metal ties to the wooden 2X4 frame of the house. The interior of the house is all finished so I do not want to use bolts for the ledger board. Also, the house band/joist board is plywood because I used silent floor joists which are also of plywood. Therefore, I want to use lag screws with lead anchors in the brick. I have also been told to bury my 6X6 posts in the concrete which will give the deck more lateral stability. This will lessen the possiblity of the deck coming away from the house or the ledger board separating from the house due to a lateral force. The deck will be 8 feet off the ground so I don't want any mishaps!! Any comments on my planning??
Thanks for your assistance and advice.
R/S Bob Wa

Old 05-21-01, 12:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Mr. Old Guy, Thanks. I'm 55...so I'm not a spring chicken!! Anyhow, to complete this subject, the brick facade or veneer on my house is two stories tall and is attached by small metal ties to the wooden 2X4 frame of the house. The interior of the house is all finished so I do not want to use bolts for the ledger board. Also, the house band/joist board is plywood because I used silent floor joists which are also of plywood. Therefore, I want to use lag screws with lead anchors in the brick. I have also been told to bury my 6X6 posts in the concrete which will give the deck more lateral stability. This will lessen the possiblity of the deck coming away from the house or the ledger board separating from the house due to a lateral force. The deck will be 8 feet off the ground so I don't want any mishaps!! Any comments on my planning??
Thanks for your assistance and advice.
R/S Bob Wa

Old 05-21-01, 07:24 PM
L
Let me jump in here for a minute. First, there isn't a whole lot holding the brick veneer to the house. Just some little bitty pieces of sheet metal nailed to the studs and embedded in the mortar. i would not suggest anchoring the deck to the bricks at all, ESPECIALLY a deck that is 8 feet in the air. Make the deck free-standing. As far as burying the 6X6 posts in concrete, that is something else I would suggest that you don't do. The posts will rot, and you will have no way to replace them. Instead, put them on Simpson PB or EPB post bases. Or use 3" steel posts embedded a couple of feet into a concrete footing that is at least a foot deeper than the bottom of the post.