Should I Sand Deck Before Staining?

Old 07-02-18, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I Sand Deck Before Staining?

Hi all, i just powerwashed my deck this past weekend, using a cleaner I bought at Home Depot. It looks a lot better and removed a lot of the dirt and mildew, but the wood still looks a bit gray (before and after pics attached). But also notice the wood has a bunch of fuzzies in some areas

I bought some stain (this stuff here https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flood-5-...6-05/203209849), but i'm wondering if it would be best to sand before staining? Or is a brightener needed at all?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
You can use a brightener or bleach if you want but sanding is the only way to remove "fuzzies" and any raised grain.

Old 07-02-18, 09:20 AM
Ok thanks--do you think it would look okay without a brightener assuming i use a natural translucent stain?

And if i do decide to sand, is renting a floor sander the best way to do it?

Old 07-02-18, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
The 'fuzzies' were caused by over aggressive pressure washing. When I run into this I try to limit the amount of sanding, hopefully you can knock down the worst of it and call it good enough. The fuzz doesn't affect how the stain will bond to the wood.

Aggressive or complete sanding is a big job and between the nails/screws and gaps between boards you'll go thru a lot of sandpaper.

The main thing when applying a translucent stain is to make sure the wood looks fairly uniform as there isn't enough pigment in that type of stain to hide discrepancies in the wood.

Old 07-02-18, 11:51 AM
Okay thanks that's kind of what i figured. Think i will go over it with a pole sander and get my palm sander out for some the bad areas. Appreciate the help!