Posts on Paver Patio

Old 07-02-18, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Posts on Paver Patio

I am putting together some plans for a cedar patio cover/pergola which will involve two posts and be attached to the house. The current concrete patio is 10'x10' but I plan expand this by putting a paver border around the pad; the posts will be located off the pad where the pavers will be. I will be installing the pavers after the posts/patio cover is finished.

What is the preferred way to set the posts so it will look the best once the pavers are installed around the posts? My first thought was to pour a concrete footing (sonotube) so the top of the footing is slightly below the bottom of where the paver bottoms will be, then use a saddle bracket to secure the post. That should allow me to cut the pavers and get them right next to the post. There may be some of the bracket exposed after installing the pavers, but that's not too big of a deal.

The frost line around here is 12".

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-18, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 227 Votes on 209 Posts
Yep, that sounds like a good plan.

Old 07-03-18, 02:30 AM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
There may be some of the bracket exposed after installing the pavers,
Just make the connection a foot under the pavers and then fill, compact the void around the post to install pavers!

Old 07-03-18, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
I vote for your idea of sonotube footers and brackets to hold the posts which is the common practice these days. Keeping the wood posts up out of the ground and concrete greatly extends their life. The posts for my back porch are supported by the saddle brackets and show no sign of degradation after 17 years.

Old 07-03-18, 01:03 PM
Sounds good, thank everyone for the replies.

Since the end of the post will be buried, should I consider treating/sealing the end of the post with anything? The posts will be cedar.

Old 07-03-18, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
If you use the saddle bracket the end of the post will not be buried. That's the idea of the bracket... to keep the wood out of the ground/concrete. You can apply additional preservative if you want but keeping it out of the ground will do a lot.

Old 07-03-18, 02:16 PM
Because I'm dealing with the pavers and have to put the top of the footing just below the bottom of the pavers, the bottom of the post will be buried, albeit in sand that is underneath the pavers. Maybe its not that big of a deal, compared to burying it in soil or concrete.