So I'm not staining my deck but...

Old 07-04-18, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I'm not staining my deck but...

Decided to make a new post since my other was kinda veering off topic a little and also because I've had a change of mind. I'm at the last stages of replacing all of the deck boards and rails on 3 fairly large decks with brown pressure treated wood (no not composite, because I'm selling in roughly 5 years).
I was going to stain them all next summer. But I changed my mind because we'll... They're brand new so I'll let them age before bothering with the work of staining and then restaining when I can just do it once when I'm about to list the house on the market

My question is would you bother doing anything to it? My last deck looked new for 7 years that I lived at my last house and all I did was use a pump sprayer every 2 years with Thompson's water seal. Do that again? Or something else? Or nothing at all?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-18, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
Yeah I can see why. Sorry about that...

No, I don't think you need to do anything to it. If you feel like you have had good results using TWS on decks in the past, go ahead, but I'm not a big fan of it. How much will you spend on TWS in the next 5 years if you go that route? People like it cause they can see water bead up on it. But it doesn't last long so you constantly need to reapply it.

Old 07-05-18, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Not sure I've ever seen TWS hold up for 2 yrs when exposed to the elements. TWS doesn't do much from stopping the wood from turning grey. It also can complicate changing to stain at a later date as what makes it repel water will also prevent stain from getting a good bond. Personally I'd apply a toner or translucent stain although spraying on TWS is easier.