Deck frame exposed to rain

Old 07-20-18, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck frame exposed to rain

I'm ripping up the deck boards to be replaced by new ones and after tomorrow the weather man says rain non stop for 4 days in a row. I wanted to put flashing tape on top of all the joists and ledger boards but now I won't have time. I'm pissed because now I'm going to have a bunch of exposed nail and screw holes soaking up that rain. Should I be worried? Should I be busting my ass to get it all taped off tomorrow? If I do I'm looking at a 14 hour day.

Question 2: How long should the frame be allowed to dry after the rain ends? I'm only flashing taping the tops of the joists, will it evaporate naturally through the rest of the boards if I tape off the tops before the rest of the boards are bone dry?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-18, 06:01 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Why, in 40 plus years I've only seen flashing on the tops of joist exactly once.
I've replaced thousands of deck boards and the only joist I have found to be rotted out was because the deck was built too close to grade.
Most often it's the ledger board that rots out because of the lack of flashing, no spacing behind it to hold it off the wall.

Old 07-20-18, 06:17 PM
I don't honestly have a better answer to that than to say I read it was a good idea. So other than maybe the ledger boards don't bother?

Old 07-20-18, 10:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
It's going to be exposed to water and other weather once it's done, this is no big deal.

Assuming the wood is PT, that is....

Old 07-21-18, 01:25 PM
Apparently not. I'm not sure what it is but it appears to be 2x6's that have all been coated with some kind of brown stain. All the cross beams for the hexagon where the deck board ends will butt together at angles are doubled up. Unfortunately those sections seemed to be affected most by lack of places for water to drain after rain and dirt to accumulate so one of them has a small channel of rot where I found an ant colony today during demo.

I scraped and cleaned the hell out of it and I'm running Blueskin along the tops of all cross beams and ledger boards. I'm not going to replace the frame though. Strangely enough it has weathered far better overall than the pressure treated deck boards I pulled off of it. Just guessing based on my last couple of homes but it'll probably be fine for another 10 years. From what I'm told, the current frame is 10 years old right now and I've found very little weather damage overall

Old 07-21-18, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It may indeed be pressure treated (and likely is). The brown stained stuff is all you can find in stock down here. No racks at all of the more common greenish type outside of lumberyards...which don't exist nearby. Not sure why...some sort of local preference I guess.

Old 07-21-18, 04:17 PM
No this isn't that newer brown pressure treated micro pro sienna type stuff you're talking about. That didn't exist when this deck was built, just the green stuff. This literally looks like the same stain they used on the wood siding

Old 07-21-18, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
The stain doesn't help identify the wood. You can stain SPF, cedar, or treated wood, so no idea what it is without any pictures. The deck has been outside for 10 years, I'm sure it has rained on it before now. And I'm sure its probably pressure treated wood. A little rain won't hurt anything.

Old 07-22-18, 01:48 PM
Ok thanks. Sorry I Know I sound paranoid but I'm just really leery about making the same mistakes the original builder did which led to me having to do this job in the first place 😉