Looking for Help on Deck Beams

Old 07-21-18, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for Help on Deck Beams

Hi, I am hoping for another opinion on this. Iím rebuilding my deck and after taking out the old one, I realized it had a ledger board screwed on the exterior brick veneer. I canít install a new ledger board there because it is against code and a bad idea.

So I was looking for some help on how to install a beam there. Due to the height limitation, the beam would have to be flush with the joists. The slab below has sunk in different areas. I thought about digging holes as close to the house wall as possible for concrete piers in order to install a beam that would mimic a ledger board.

Another thought is to change the orientation of the beams to be 90 degrees from the house. Any ideas?

The house wall is 18ft and the deck would extend for another 12 to the left.

Thanks,
Nick

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-18, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Not exactly sure what your question is. Either direction would work for your beams but it would probably make more sense to have the beam parallel to the house, unless you want the decking to run the opposite way. Footings next to a foundation (in disturbed soil) need to be as deep as the house footing is. (See page 11 of the DCA 6 and figure 12.)

Old 07-21-18, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. I don't mind either direction, just looking for the proper way. The problem with running the beam in parallel to the house is that I would have to pour the concrete piers as close to the wall as possible and the post anchors placed on the edge of the pier close to the wall. I think that is against code because anchors need to be in the center of piers.

Someone mentioned that I can still install a ledger board even though I have exterior veneer but I think that would break the code.

Old 07-21-18, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Your beams can cantilever if placed at a 90.... see figure 3.

And if parallel, you would just add additional framing onto the back side of the beam so you could space the beam itself away.

Old 07-21-18, 07:03 PM
Yes the idea behind the 90 was to have overhangs. But I never thought about that parallel design in which you add additional framing onto the back side of the beam. That is a great idea. Could you recommend what that framing could be?

Old 07-21-18, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
A couple 2x4s lagged onto the back side of the beam? You "could" also attach a ledger as a nailer behind the beam as long as no joists attach to it. It's not that the deck is completely free standing... for example, it needs at least 2 lateral load devices.

If this deck will be inspected be sure you get your plan approved before you start.

Old 07-21-18, 07:29 PM
Sounds good. Thank you very much, appreciate your help.