Need patio blinds or something to help with rain

Old 07-24-18, 08:58 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need patio blinds or something to help with rain

I am looking for some suggestions/ideas on what I might do to reduce the amount of rain that blows into my patio (see attached pic). It is pretty small in size – 10’ x 19’ – so anytime we have a storm with a fair amount of wind blowing to the south or west, half the patio gets drenched.

Years ago I used to have plastic roll-up blinds on each of the patio screen sections, originally used for privacy purposes, later for sun blockage and occasionally for rain. A while back I took them down when I had the patio frame/screens re-done and, because they were old and a couple of them had rotted cording, I threw them away. (Big mistake!)

Just recently, I decided I should try to replace them and have learned – through numerous days of internet searching – that what I had seems to be a dinosaur in terms of current products offered by blind/shade companies. (Second pic shows something similar, just for an example.)

It would seem from my research that one company who offers the type I am looking for must be discontinuing them; so, what is left of their inventory, via multiple selling sources, is not compatible with the sizes I need. I also read reviews that indicated these blinds, while made of PVC, are probably not the best thing to use during windy storms.

Does anyone have any idea where I might find something similar to what I used to have? I don’t want to install blinds that require side mounts because the patio is made of aluminum and I really don’t like the idea of drilling holes into the screen frames. Or, perhaps you could recommend other options?

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-24-18, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Costco often sells Sunbrella shades similar to your picture and my local Lowes has a could different styles of them in stock and more that can be special ordered and I assume Home Depot and Menards will as well. When I search for "bamboo window shades" a ton of options appear.

Old 07-24-18, 12:31 PM
B
Thanks! I am not sure bamboo would work too well with rain hitting it directly. I've seen bamboo ones, but I was looking more for plastic or PVC type material.

Old 07-24-18, 01:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I searched for bamboo because that's the photo you included in your post. Blinds are available from other materials if you wish.

Old 07-24-18, 02:28 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
You can control the movement of blinds blowing in the wind somewhat by installing screw eyes above and below them and tying a cord between them every 3 or 4 feet apart.. The screens may keep the blinds under control on the outside but you can tie cords top-to-bottom on both sides if you just leave them slack enough for the blind roll to move up and down between the cords.

Old 07-24-18, 02:54 PM
B
Pilot Dane: Sorry about that - I only used that photo to depict the type of hanging option I am looking for. Couldn't find a pic of same type of set up with different materials suitable to use in the rain.

2john02458: Really want the blinds to be on the inside, not outside. If on outside, I would have to go outside - in the blowing rain - to lower them. Trying to avoid that, if I can. Not sure I understand (can't envision) your "tie cords top to bottom on both sides" explanation??

Old 07-24-18, 03:28 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Sorry for any confusion.

Hang the blinds on the inside of the screens.

Install screw eyes above and below the blinds. Tie a cord on the inside from top to bottom. When the wind blows the blinds IN they will bump against the cords that will keep them from flying. If the wind is blowing them OUT the screen will stop them from flying. Just leave the cords loose enough that they will not interfere with rolling the blinds up.

Old 07-24-18, 04:08 PM
B
Got it. Now, just have to figure out the rest!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: