Gravel bed or patio questions

Old 07-26-18, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gravel bed or patio questions

I have a patch of ground 10 feet by 16 feet that is bordered on the north side by the gable end of the house and on the east side by a sunroom addition. There is a slope of about 16 inches over the 16 foot north-south run from the gable end of the house to the end of the sunroom. It is mostly level in the east-west direction.

I want to level this area and lay down a bed of gravel to make a relatively flat patio-like area. Moving south beyond this 16 foot length the slope continues and gets even steeper. At the 16 foot mark where the sunroom ends I was planning to put in some sort of granite edging or curb with a 7 inch step down to a 4 foot wide leveled gravel walkway that would lead around the sunroom to the back yard.

To make the main patio area level I need to take away a wedge of soil that rises in height from 0 at the end of the sunroom to about 12 inches at the gable end of the house. That should still leave me with about 4 inches of slope for drainage.

Now for the complicating factor...my gas meter is located on the gable end of the house. So were I to remove 12 inches of soil I would be changing the finished grade level under the gas meter. I am doing all this by hand/shovel and have already called digsafe to mark the utilities. The only utility near the area is the gas meter and the gas service line running from it out to the road.

If removing the soil near the foundation/gas meter is a bad idea I could start the excavation say 2 feet out from the gable foundation and have a 12 inch tall curb/edging or small retaining wall. Then I would treat this 10 ft by 2 ft area as a little pedestal for potted plants or something. But it is a lot of extra work to create essentially a buffer zone around the gas meter and gable foundation.

I don't have any issues with drainage or wet basement currently.
I don't think there should be any issue with removing 12 inches of soil from a poured concrete foundation, but the gas meter have me pausing.

PS I may try to make this into more of a true patio by laying down 2 ft x 2 ft flagstones with a 4-6 inch gap between them topped up with gravel. I don't want to go to the next level of laying down compactable fill and sand and butting the flagstones together as they would like not stay level due to frost heave.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-18, 03:28 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
What is your question? .................................

Old 07-26-18, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To begin with I have 2 questions regarding changing the final grade level of a 10 foot section next to my foundation.

1. Are there any issues with altering it (as described) from a drainage or building code standpoint?
2. And are there any additional considerations as the area encompasses the gas meter, the gas riser coming out of the ground and the buried line heading out to the road. By taking away 12 inches of soil I would reduce the height over the gas pipe from perhaps 24 inches to 12 inches.