Footers for deck stairs

Old 07-31-18, 04:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Footers for deck stairs

Adding steps to my deck in back yard. Steps are going into grass yard. Need advice on the footers. Stairs are going to be 12 ft wide. My question is should i put the stringers every 16 in? And if i do, how much distance between footers.

Old 08-01-18, 06:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Stringer spacing is partially determined by how you make the stair treads. If using 5/4 deck boards then 16" is a good spacing. If making your treads of 2"x lumber then you could space them further though I tend to stick with standard 16" to make it easier on someone in the future replacing the decking and/or stair treads.

Something has to support your stringers and that's usually the footer. In your case I'd pour a continuous footer and possibly incorporate that into a concrete landing pad for the steps. You haven't said where you are located but even steps need a proper footer. Follow your local building codes as to what is required for a footer especially it's depth to get below the frost line.

Old 08-01-18, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I agree, with a wide staircase, you are probably better off just pouring a continuous footer and stem wall. That way you can lay out the stair jacks wherever you want.

Old 08-01-18, 11:15 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
I would build a continuous bottom step with the top surface just above grade. Give enough front-to-back depth to support the bottom end of the stringers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: