Decked Area Over Elevated Concrete Slab

Old 08-10-18, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decked Area Over Elevated Concrete Slab

Hi All,

As part of a small deck project I need to construct a decked landing area outside of my back door which will end in stairs that descend to the main deck area. We previously had crumbling concrete block steps that I had taken out when we re-did our driveway recently (see pic attached). I can run a ledger board on the right hand side under the door, but the other side is just the 2x4 framed wall of the garage. I would like to use anchors to either secure some posts or run something (2 2x12s?) horizontally, but I cant seem to find any definitive information on whether this is to code. Frost heave obviously isnt an issue and I believe that the slab is at least 6 thick. The decked section would be fairly small: max area roughly = 10x4.5; 2 or less high. I suspect my building office (NJ) will need to be sold on the idea before they approve my plans any comments or suggestions (especially references to the IRC) would be helpful.

Thanks!

Name:  d1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  51.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-10-18 at 10:54 AM. Reason: enlarged/reposted picture
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-18, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
Sorry I guess I don't understand your dilemma. You should put a ledger on the left and right sides of the picture, your joists will be in joist hangers in between. There is no code problem with that and you don't need any posts.

You will need to remove some siding so that you can properly flash the ledger behind your WRB with a metal z-flashing.

Old 08-10-18, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the reply Sleeper. The problem is that I can't run the ledger board into the 2x4 framing on the left side so I need to sort something else out. The concrete floor of the alcove is in great shape and had supported brick and block steps for years before I took them out so I'd like to use posts and anchors to frame out the left side. My concern is that this is something that runs afoul of building codes

Old 08-10-18, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
What do you mean you cant?

Old 08-10-18, 01:23 PM
It's got to be tied into the rim joist of the house or the foundation. Any time I have seen it come up the comments aren't positive - major questions about strength, 1/2 lags splitting the 2x's ... After looking into it, regardless of what the code says, I'd trust posts anchored into that slab way before a ledger lagged into 2x studs.

Old 08-10-18, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Do whatever you like. That's silly.