Patio Cover Ledger Attachment to Brick Cavity Wall

Old 08-11-18, 02:57 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Cover Ledger Attachment to Brick Cavity Wall

Hey Everyone, I am looking at building out a patio cover on the back of my house here in Denver, CO. I have been reviewing our local IRC to determine rafter/beam/post size and spacing for the spans I am looking at, but am having some trouble figuring out how to attach the ledger board to the house.

We have an old, 1-story brick house that was built in 1925. The exterior walls are brick, and it appears like it is a cavity wall and the cavity is completely empty (no mortar or insulation). I talked to a friend with experience building decks who told me to use 1/2" x 4" sleeve bolts to attach the 2x8 ledger directly to the outer brick layer, but I am worried about lateral loads pulling the back wall of my house down if it is attached to the brick veneer (?).

I am fine contacting a local Structural Engineer to draw up a detail, but thought I would throw the question out here and see if anyone had experience with this similar situation. I will say that I have thought about installing additional posts next to the exterior wall to make the porch cover free standing, but I have concerns about putting new piers that close to our existing old foundation wall.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Old 08-11-18, 03:45 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Post a picture of the house when you can of the area where your planning on building this.
No way would I just be attaching to a vanner wall.
#1, Unless I'm missing something the roof would be to low and almost no slope if you built it the way your suggesting.
Only way I build one is by having the rafters sitting up on the house roof, the higher the better, the rafters for the ceiling should be sitting on top of the top plates on the outside wall after removing the fashia board.
I've had to go back and redo dozen of DIY built roofs built the way your suggesting, everyone leaked, one was so low they had to cut the joist to be able to open the outside door.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click

Old 08-11-18, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Patio covers should be attached at the fascia / rafter tails... not on a veneer.

Old 08-12-18, 07:09 AM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Sorry but in my opinion that's just not true for several reasons.
Main one is the end grain of wood has almost no holding power.
Setting it there often would not give you enough sloop.
I've seen it done that way many times by DIY's because they had no idea how to cut the rafters so they would sit up on the roof and most of them where bouncy and leaked.

Old 08-12-18, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
It all depends on the location, snow load, length of rafter tail, etc. Plus I did this professionally for many years... think I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying attaching above the roofline is not sometimes needed.

ps: direct your replies to the op... not to other posters.

Old 08-12-18, 07:29 PM
P
Post a picture of the house when you can of the area where your planning on building this.
No way would I just be attaching to a vanner wall.
I have included a picture of the back of the house to show the condition I was originally planning on attaching to. It is a single story house with a basement, so the height of the ledger board would be about 14' above grade. There was an aluminum structure cover with a fiberglass roof that was there (and attached to the veneer) when we bought the house, but it got tore to shreds after a hail storm and we had to rip it out.

I understand that attaching to veneer is unacceptable and not something I am trying to justify. Was wondering if there were other ways to support the back portion of the structure since it appears the ledger is out of the question. Probably not worth it to tear out portion of roof/fascia and secure to the top of the wall.

Any concern over setting three new piers for post supports along the exterior wall of the house (thinking future issues with existing foundation)? Or any other suggestions for supporting this (e.g. pilaster)?

Name:  IMG_3214.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  34.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-12-18 at 07:51 PM. Reason: enlarged picture
Old 08-12-18, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
You would add a 2x fascia onto your rafter tails and attach your patio cover ledger to that. If adding the fascia to the front of the rafter tails is not acceptable, you can cut the rafter tails back 1 1/2" and then add the new fascia. The new roof would need to either be flashed under the existing drip edge or better yet, under the existing shingles.

Old 08-13-18, 02:31 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
I am looking at building out a patio cover on the back of my house
Maybe I missed it but what kind of cover are you looking at, something open, like a pergola or finished with shingles like the existing roof?

Old 08-13-18, 07:52 AM
P
My original plan was to put plywood decking and shingles to match my roof. My wife wanted corrugated tin but with all the hail we get in Denver, I am not interested in replacing the dented tin every year. Looking at my options now though, if an open pergola-like option would reduce weight and alleviate my bracing issues, then I would be willing to go that route. But mainly looking to put roof shingles on it so I can run my gutters further away from the house.

Old 08-13-18, 11:23 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
They are completely different animals.

The Pergola is an open structure, does not have a roof thus snow loads are not an issue.

Anything with a roof probably needs some engineering to be done!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1534184615

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-18, 07:32 AM
P
The Pergola is an open structure, does not have a roof thus snow loads are not an issue
So if I were just doing a pergola, there wouldn't be any issue with connecting the ledger directly to the brick?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: