Sagging porch roof corner

Old 08-15-18, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sagging porch roof corner

Looking for some advice, my wife and I are looking to buy a house but we noticed on the porch one of the corner support beams is pushed up into the soffit and the screen door has been rubbing on the soffiting. We can not see it from the attic and since nd it's not my house I can start tearing stuff off, were a little nervous at what it might cost to fix or be structurally unsound. It's on concrete that has been mud jacked in the rear of the slab. Was wondering if there's any ideas of what causes this and repair estimates

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Impossible to say sight unseen but generally when something is sagging that bad it means there is rot somewhere. It's possible when the slab was jacked up the roof structure above didn't move with it. I'd also check for any roof leaks [past or present] in that area.

Old 08-16-18, 05:41 AM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Suggest you hire a licensed home inspector telling him/her what you are already concerned about. After you get the report, you may decide not to buy the house. If you decide to continue the purchase process, use the report to negotiate a purchase price based on sold as-is or have the homeowner correct some/all of the report issues. Good luck

Old 08-16-18, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
We can't see the house your considering so we can't even guess on a cost. You know there is damage and it's structural. There will be some variability in the repair cost depending on how "proper" you want the fix but it will not be $100.

Old 08-20-18, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Were having a structural engineer coming in today to take a look at it