Adding support to my back stairs

Old 08-31-18, 08:31 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding support to my back stairs

back stairs have a few known issues (bought the house 6 months ago), including that the blocks holding up the treads are insufficient. But also the treads arenít as secure feeling as iíd Like. I planned on adding a middle stringer but then read that adding risers could solve the sag/instability issue, since they basically act like headers. So Iím wondering if I can just add risers and, if so, how exactly I would do it. Since there are two 2x4s per tread, Iím actually thinking Iíd need to put a 2x6 or wider under EACH tread (ie 2 per step). Another option though could be to use a 2x12 and run it from below the front of the front 2x4 of the higher step to behind the back of the back 2x4 on the step below. This would probably cost out cheaper since Iíd only be using one piece of wood per step and would save on hangers etc. the issue with that approach is that at best it would be supporting the treads from the front and back but not from the very middle, unlike how a ďTĒ arrangement would work.

anyway, looking for any suggestions, thank you so much!

https://imgur.com/a/WgmrNPi

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-18, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Not the pro here..... just looking thru the pictures...... the nailed-on tread cleats need to go.
I went thru a step like that several years back.

Old 08-31-18, 11:30 PM
P
Agreed. Well, actually I was going to put long carriago bolts through them so they couldnít sheet off, but either way they arenít good as they are now.

anyway, would love help on figuring out whether my riser mod ideas make sense and which one is best.

Old 09-01-18, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
You could. It might be better to use an actual hanger bracket and Simpson hanger screws.

https://www.fastenersplus.com/SSP%20...e%20Angles.pdf

Old 09-01-18, 11:21 AM
P
A picture to better explain

updated the imgur with some sketches to show the 3 options I was considering since I donít think I explained them very well in my OP. Option 3 seems more elegant but then the new riser wouldnít be directly under the back tread of each step, and Iíd need some L brackets of some kind to make them work. Moreover, the front treads in option 3 wouldnít be supported in the middle, just the front.

so basically option A seems like the best/easiest way to add support, option 2 would better cover the hole between steps but sacrifice some support of front tread, option 3 might look coolest and maybe save money but might sacrifice the most support.

and thanks Xsleeper, I donít really know the first thing about hangers so will def need to check those out.

https://imgur.com/a/WgmrNPi