Novice Question: Installing Porch Posts

Old 09-19-18, 10:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Novice Question: Installing Porch Posts

Hello,

New to the site and to home improvements. Our old front porch posts and rails rotted out, so I pulled them down and am looking to install vinyl in its place. I bought wood posts and am looking to install them into our front driveway/porch slab. There will be around 9 posts (each around 3 feet tall) and each will only be supporting around 4 feet of railings. I found these (https://www.strongtie.com/retrofitpo...bz_base/p/rpbz) and am thinking to put one on each side of the post (2 per post), but do you think that will be enough support or should I look at something else? It seems like everything I’m finding says they are not to be used with any loads.

Old 09-19-18, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A picture or two of that area would be helpful....... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 09-19-18, 06:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attached is a picture of the porch I'm working with. You can see where the previous posts were bolted to the side of the steps/porch. I do not want to do this as I will be sliding vinyl covers over the wood posts and that would not work if I bolted them to the sides.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-18, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Assuming these are just posts for a railing and they are not holding up a roof or anything, I would recommend you check out Menards premium designer image deck rail and premium posts. They are a steel post, attaches to the cement pad, the sleeve fits over that. No wood posts. And they have a matching stair rail kit for the stairs.

if you want an upgrade, look at their aluminum railings. Not as big and blocky as pvc railings.

Old 09-20-18, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Here is one I worked on recently. (Product mentioned above)

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: