Water Seal in the Shade

Old 09-20-18, 11:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Seal in the Shade

Been reading all the horror stories about decks!

I need to put down some Thompson's Water Seal. My deck gets late afternoon sun - so in the morning, it's wet from dew. So I need to wait until the sun dries it out. Trouble is, then it's almost night time, and it will just get dewey again.

Other than "Hire someone to put down stain", what suggestions do you have?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-18, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Do it anytime the deck is dry. Don't worry about few. TWS is very thin and it will need to be reapplied every couple months. It doesnt last long just fyi, so don't worry just slop it on.

Old 09-20-18, 01:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
The dew getting on top of the TWS isn't as bad as having moisture trapped under it. Pretty much all that will happen if the dew gets on wet TWS is it will dry slower.

Old 09-20-18, 03:58 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I scrubbed the deck yesterday afternoon, so I figure by late afternoon today (a few hours in the sun) it should be good, yes? (It's visibly dry).

I know TWS won't last long, but I don't know how/when I will stain it or seal it ($$$) and it's about to be the rainy season, so I wanted to get SOMETHING down, even if it only lasts til March.

(Between the two of us, marksr, we have 43, 806 posts!)

Old 09-21-18, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Inspect the wood well to make sure it's dry - look at the underside also. How old the wood is along with weather conditions play a big part in how long it takes to dry. I've cleaned some decks that were dry the next day but others take several days.

If this is a fairly new deck it will be ok until spring if you do nothing, you'd just need to clean it first.