stick ashpalt shingles to wood

Old 09-29-18, 09:25 AM
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
stick ashpalt shingles to wood

I have this walkway thing I built which will span/bridge across a gully on the property. It's just three 4x4's (two along the edges and one down the center) for supports, with the 2x8s attached there as the planks. I want to attach some cut pieces/strips of regular roofing asphalt/fiberglass shingles to help as tread/traction should these planks get slippery from frost or ice or whatever. But I'd rather not have to attach the material with nails or screws or staples; instead I'd like to be able to adhere them to the wooden planks directly, if possible/feasible with some type of adhesive that should hold good and secure over time and out in the elements. Any suggestions/comments on what type of adhesive I might use for this? Liquid nails or something like that maybe, would that be good? I know there is adhesive made specifically to help bond shingles to other shingles but that's not what I'm doing. I just wanna adhere them directly to the wood as described. thanks.

Old 09-29-18, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
The few times I've done that type of job I've used the self adhesive traction strips. If I was concerned they wouldn't stay stuck I'd spray an adhesive down first. I don't know if a spray adhesive would work with shingles. If you use a liquid nail type product make sure it's rated for exterior [some are interior only]

Old 09-29-18, 11:58 AM
ok. thanks, exterior liquid nails type stuff I guess, if there is such a thing, I suppose then.

Old 09-29-18, 03:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
I would do a test. Stick a few with Liquid Nails and stick a few with roofing tar. My bet is on the tar. But I recently got back from a trip up your way and all the shingles turned non slip were nailed down.

Old 09-29-18, 04:11 PM
I decided to just nail em

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: