Help! Newly stained deck is showing white outlines

Old 10-01-18, 05:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Newly stained deck is showing white outlines

I hired someone to wash and stain my 1-year-old deck. They powerwashed on Monday (finished after supper) and stained on Tuesday using Valspar semi-transparent Simply Cedar. It rained the next evening. When it dried over the next day or so, I see these markings you see in the picture. They are all over the deck. It's rained and dried several times and they remain. By that I mean the EXACT same white outlines are there as if they are in the wood somehow. Can someone please help?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-18, 01:47 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
It rained the next evening.
Should have waited a week between washing and staining to dry thoroughly, and then a week of good weather post staining,

Nothing to do but wait till next time!

Old 10-02-18, 03:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Have you talked to the contractor who did the work? I agree there should have been a longer wait time between cleaning and staining. I usually wait 2-3 days although a lot depends on weather conditions and the deck's exposure to sun/wind.

You might be able to use a little detergent and scrub off that residue. If not, you'd need to apply another coat. All this should be the contractor's responsibility!

Old 10-02-18, 05:30 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I'm more upset by the contractor's attitude than the deck. His only reply (in text) was "take it up with Valspar" and he won't return any contact with me.

I will try the detergent and apply a second coat when the weather is better (very rainy in the Midwest right now).

Thank you!

Old 10-03-18, 02:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I'd only apply another coat as a last resort. IF the wood was still damp when the coating was applied it may not adhere as good as it should [shorter stain life] IMO the goal right now should be making it look better.