What is a Good Pitch For "Leveling" a Small Rise

Old 10-08-18, 11:58 AM
What is a Good Pitch For "Leveling" a Small Rise

I have a storage room that I want to convert into an office. The floor is at two different levels. One half is about 3 inches higher then the other. This "step" extends completely across the room. I want to "eliminate" the step.
I have considered building a false floor over the lower area but that is a lot of work and cost for materials.

I am thinking of a "ramp". A small ramp. Maybe just a few inches long. Maybe a "rise over the run" of 3" to 6".

I wonder if there are any "standards" for something like this? Would 3:9 be better? Stuff like that.

When I am finished I plan to put down some linoleum and will make the ramp a different color to make it visible.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-18, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
R311.8.1 indicates that the maximum pitch of a ramp is 1" per foot. So you could lose 3" in 3 ft. Definitely NOT in just a few inches.

Old 10-08-18, 02:46 PM
Will be a tripping hazard waiting to happen. Build up the lower section to make the entire room level.

Old 10-08-18, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
I would build up the low floor so the entire room is the same level or leave the step. I think a step in a known and visible location is OK and you can live with it. A shallow ramp just screams afterthought and while it may not be a trip hazard the slope would be a stumble hazard for me.

Old 10-10-18, 10:03 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I had things set to give me instant email but apparently not.

Just to clarify, the "higher section" measures 3' x 15'.
The lower section is 13' x 15'. That is a lot of plywood and "joists". Even if the "joists" are less then 3" high.

The 1:12 pitch seems to be pretty universal. I did find something about "2:12 acceptable if there is someone to assist with the wheelchair". Not really applicable for my case. I will be the primary user 90% of the time. If I end up in a wheelchair I won't be able to get up 17 steps to get to this area anyway.

Right now I am toying with the idea of leaving the step. The entrance door is at one end of the 3' x 15' area. I might configure things so I come in the entrance, turn left and step down. I might build some shelves or something to force the turn left. That way the usable step is only 3' wide or so and no one be able to approach the step the rest of the way across the room.

I have to think about how to do that.

Thanks XSleeper, Wirepuller38, Pilot Dane

Old 10-10-18, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
.66:12 is sometimes acceptable if there is an unusual constraint... such as not enough length available without sacrificing the width of a 36" landing or something.... But that exception would be rarely used since it means the inspector would need to approve it. (Good luck)