Treehouse Beam question

Old 10-18-18, 08:34 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Treehouse Beam question

Hello -

I am in the process of building a 8'x8' freestanding treehouse in Arizona - it's next to the tree, but the tree's wood is not very strong and I do not want to trust the tree nor hurt the tree.

My plan for the frame was as follows - Four 6x6 pressure treated as posts. Single 2x12 pressure treated boards as beams, bolted to the side of the posts. 2x8 pressure treated as joists, spaced 16 inches on center.

I've installed the posts, and the beams, and I'm nearly done with the joists. However, I'm starting to doubt the design and am wondering if I should double up the 2x12's that support the joists. At this point in the project I can still do that (will take some work and bracing but doable). Alternatively I can add in a 4x4 post halfway for extra support.

Due to my location I do not need to worry about snow load or anything, and realistically the most weight this will carry is the equivalent of 3-4 adults + the weight of the frame (assuming a kids party or something).

Am I overthinking this? I realize that beam on top of post & doubling up on the beams would be appropriate for a deck, but I wanted to avoid over-engineering this...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-18, 10:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 607 Votes on 560 Posts
The tree house is only 8x8. It sounds like you're overbuilding it as is. If it were a house I would double up the beams and use something shorter than a 2x12" but what your doing sounds plenty strong if you have good attachment between the floor joists and beam/rim joist.