Deck coating for mixed old and new wood

Old 10-18-18, 08:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck coating for mixed old and new wood

Hey guys, I'm restoring an old deck. I'd say about 50% of the old wood has been replaced with new treated wood. I pressure washed everything, and I'm getting ready to coat it with something.

The old deck already has a very dark stain on it. I need to get everything to match, and would also like to cover up the signs of age on the old wood a bit, like splits and such.

I hate the idea of having to put paint on it, I'd much rather use a stain that's not going to start peeling over time, but I can't imagine getting this variation in color and age to match with a stain.

So basically the question is, stain or paint? and what kind? Water based, oil based?

How would I get a paint to be durable? Especially on the high traffic areas. I assume some kind of primer would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-18, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I wouldn't use paint as it would be too much work when it comes time to repaint.
I'd recommend using a solid deck stain. You will still see the difference between the new and old boards but it's pretty much the only viable option. Solid deck stains can be tinted to most any color. Here in the southeast oil stains don't always hold up that great [fading] but further north they do ok. Oil base penetrates a little deeper and seals a little better although I doubt one outlasts the other by much. It's typical for decks to need to be restained every 2-4 yrs.

Old 10-19-18, 05:47 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
There is nothing you can do that will hold up about the flaws in the old wood.
This is what I've been using.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Olympic-...A-01/305230182
There is no location in your profile, but that new wood needs time to dry out before doing anything and it's to late in the year to do it if your above the Mason Dixon line.
I likely your local HD store is not going to stock this because it can come in some many different colors.
I ordered it one line and it was shipped for free right to my door.

Old 10-19-18, 10:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I actually did the the woodwork last year, so the wood has had more than enough time to dry out. Yes I'm up north, Pennsylvania.

Would the solid stain cover up some wood putty, if I wanted to fill some defects?

Old 10-19-18, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Solid stain will cover wood filler but usually filler isn't a good idea on a deck. The deck's exposure to the elements usually makes fillers short lived and when they fail - that often looks worse than before the repair.

Old 10-19-18, 08:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I need to get everything to match
That's a recipe for disaster. Stick with a solid body stain and be ready for there to be some noticeable difference between the new and the old wood. I agree on the filler popping out, either live with the defects or replace those boards as well.