Which type of wood for top pieces on patio cover

Old 10-28-18, 12:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which type of wood for top pieces on patio cover

I'm making some changes to my patio cover to add additional shade. Currently have 2x3 placed upright and want to replace with 2x4 placed on it's side and spaced a little closer together.

Which type of wood would you use. Things important to me are I want wood with a smooth surface on all sides and very few knots or blemishes and straight. When I've looked around the local lumber yards the only types of wood that appeal to me are as shown in the attached photos. They are rather expensive, but I'm willing to pay the price since they meet what I'm looking for.

Live in Southern California and plan to primer/paint the wood. Had lots of issues with termites getting to the spruce facia and window trim. Any of these more resistant to termites/rot if the paint gets compromised and bare wood exposed? Does one take paint better than the others?

Any thoughts as to which you would choose. There is 1 Douglas Fir and 3 types of redwood

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-18, 03:31 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
The best choice for anything outdoors is cedar or redwood, everything else is going to eventually rot regardless of what is done to protect!

Old 10-28-18, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Redwood is more rot resistant than fir or pine. It does require a good coat of oil base primer to prevent tannin bleed.

Old 10-28-18, 06:25 AM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
Another though, composite boards!

Old 10-28-18, 09:02 PM
P
Any particular composite boards you can direct me to

Old 10-29-18, 03:02 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm having difficulty envisioning how this shaded patio is expected to look . . . . is it like a Pergola ?

A photo might help . . . . maybe all of us; but at least me. Seeing piles of 2'X4"s didn't help much.

Old 10-29-18, 10:14 AM
P
Here's some photos of the patio cover. Already started removing some of the top pieces.
Also, a photo of the current shade footprint on the ground with 2x3 placed upright. Planning to go with 2x4 placed on sides. Looking to create more shade with wider pieces laid on their sides.

Attached Images    
Old 11-01-18, 08:07 AM
P
Of the three different types of redwood displayed in the photos. Which one would would likely have a greater resistance to termites and rot? A fella at the lumber yard was saying that not all types of redwood have the same qualities. The heartwood/clear has higher tannic acids etc.

I'm thinking either the Calif HRT RWD or the CLR A RWD would be preferred, but not sure which one.
Anyone knowledgeable about the different varieties of Redwood offered?