Porch beam to deck connection

Old 11-08-18, 12:10 PM
Porch beam to deck connection

Hey Guys,

I'm currently building a deck and screened in porch at my house. The deck will be 24x16 and the porch will be next to it 20x16. The deck/porch is about 4 feet off the ground and has 2x10 joists. I've built 3 decks before at other properties, but never done a porch before and I'm having some trouble figuring out how to attach the porch posts to the deck framing. At a neighbors property he laid a 2x6 flat on the deck and then they attached the 6x6 posts on top of the 2x6 using some sort of post base.

The deck and porch will look similar to the attached picture.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-18, 12:29 PM
Look on the Simpson Strong Tie website. RPBZ, ABA, ABU, and ABW are possibilities for the post base (not sure if those intended for concrete can also be used for wood anchorage), and PCZ for the post caps.

Old 11-08-18, 12:42 PM
Mossman, thanks for the quick reply. So if I used the RPBZ, I would lay a 2x8 flat across the deck joists and then sit the post on top of the 2x8 surrounded by four of these brackets? That meets most municipal codes?

Old 11-08-18, 01:30 PM
Mossman, thanks for the quick reply. So if I used the RPBZ, I would lay a 2x8 flat across the deck joists and then sit the post on top of the 2x8 surrounded by four of these brackets? That meets most municipal codes?
Can't help you there. Someone else will comment soon I'm sure.

Old 11-08-18, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
You really don't need any sort of post base, which are all designed to separate wood from concrete and which mount to concrete. Your posts can sit right on the deck framing, so you will want something like a BC6. You would need to plan your framing so that it lines up with the posts. Then plan backing in front of each post since the decking will be notched around each post.

You might also be able to use a wide variety of strap ties or twist straps (LTS/MTS/HTS) depending.

Since this supports a roof, your ties need to be rated to resist the correct amount of uplift for your design.

Old 11-09-18, 07:49 AM
Your posts can sit right on the deck framing, so you will want something like a BC6.
Yes, BC6. Couldn't think of the other one.