Converting raised wood deck to carolina room.

Old 11-21-18, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting raised wood deck to carolina room.

We have been repairing our back deck to upgrade to a screen room, but decided we would like to add real windows, and a roof to make it a conditioned sunroom or four season room. We live in a townhome in Coastal SC and our current deck has shared support with our neighbor. My main concern relates to moisture issues because this new interior space will not be enclosed underneath. Our plan was to put elastomer coated 1/2 plywood on top of the current 2x6 deck boards, and then stone core vinyl planks for the flooring. For insulation under the floor between joists, I was planning in 2” rigid polypro, or closed cell spray foam. The new space will retain the door to make it separate from the existing interior, and will have its own 12,000 btu minisplt hvac unit. My concern is that the cold from the AC will pull moisture up through the floor during the hot months(May-October).
—Do I need a vapor barrier sandwiched somewhere In the flooring layers?
—Will the minisplit be enough of a dehumidifier to counteract the floor moisture?
—What other issues do I need to be concerned with in our humid climate?
—would it be feasible to spread a thick elastomeric sealant on top of 2x6 deck boards before I put plywood on top?
We don’t really care as much about blocking cold because the winters are short, we can just close the door, or I can wear a jacket out there if needed.
More background:
Our portion of the deck is 12 deep by 18 wide. The deck is supported by 2x8 joists on top of
a 2x12 header/band board. The double 2x12’s are approx halfway (6’) between the main house and balcony rail, and supported on 4x4’s on concrete. we are also adding notched 4x6 in concrete to add more support for the 2x12’s. The deck railing will be removed and there will be five 3’x6’ single hung windows (with 4” between each window across the front). The existing privacy walls Shared with neighbors will have 2” Polypro insulation between our new interior wall and the exterior on neighbor side.. the roof will be epdm over plywood for the flat portion of upper balcony, The flat roof will change slope to 18 degrees and be shingles all the way down to the new eve. We will also have three 22 x 48 skylights. I was thinking 2” rigid polypro or spray foam for ceiling. The new interior side walls will be 4x8 vertical hardie siding and the ceiling will be greenboard Sheetrock.
Please let me know what additional info you may need and thanks for your time.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-18, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
[img][/img]The new roof structure will be similar to this. Except it will be windows instead of screens. And the railing will be gone.