Unique bridge driveway problem

Old 11-26-18, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unique bridge driveway problem

I have a leaking "Bridge" driveway that connects my house to the street. Its about 30 years old and it's leaking into a storage area underneath the driveway. This is very common when you build on steep slopes. I suspect that the waterproof membrane has cracked or been compromised and so rain water seeps down the inside of the exterior wall. The long term fix is to tear out the existing concrete and rebar and either replace the membrane or repair the membrane. This will cost $30,000.00 plus.

Has anyone ever used a concrete sealer to help slow down or even fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forums Paul!

I live in the mountains but I've never heard of anyone making dry storage under a bridge. Could you provide a pic or two? https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc-9/

Old 11-26-18, 02:14 PM
Received 108 Votes on 99 Posts
Are use saying you use a large covert that spans the gap from road to driveway as a storage container? I'm with Marksr and perplexed.

Old 11-26-18, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
My in-laws live in the mountains and have a similar setup. Their house is on the edge of the ridge with the road on the crest of the ridge. The front edge of their driveway is at street level but at the front of the garage it's 20 feet in the air with storage underneath.

I would not try a concrete or driveway sealer intended to seal the entire surface. I'd look for cracks or joints where the water could be getting in. Thoroughly clean out the cracks and use a flexible sealer. Search for "expansion joint sealer" and you'll find many options. You could also try a 100% silicone. Preparation of the crack will be key for any product you choose. Nothing will stick to dirt so getting it as clean as possible will be well worth the effort.