Beam to Post Connection at Corner

Old 11-27-18, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Beam to Post Connection at Corner

Good Morning,

We are rebuilding our front porch to be a wrap around to the side kitchen door. Our engineer missed calling out a few connectors on our plans, and we haven't been able to get a response from them about it (the plans were drawn up last year when we were getting our permit for several other things). The other connections were easy to figure out with standard practice and other plans, but the one I'm stuck on is the porch roof corner connection where the 2 4x6 roof beams meet on top of a 4x4 corner post. She had us use 12x12 heavy duty t-straps in pairs with bolts on the straight beam to post connections, but didn't specify what to use at the corner where the two beams meet. There are 12x12 L-straps, but as it's a corner with 2 beams coming together in an L they can't be used in pairs with bolts. Can we use the L-straps with heavy duty lag screws? Are there other connectors that will work at the corner and have the same hold and uplift protection as the t-straps that are used at the other posts? Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. Let me know if I should upload pics of the plans. Thanks.

Last edited by Jannalwm; 11-27-18 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarify that it was a roof beam, not floor beam.
Sponsored Links