Deck over torch down roof

Old 12-04-18, 10:20 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck over torch down roof

Hi,
I want to build a deck on my torch down roof (it was designed to hold a deck when we remodeled). We have a sliding door opening onto the deck from our bedroom. The roof is sloped and has a cricket, and has scuppers on each end of the deck. I live in Oakland, CA, so never gets below 45 F and not a huge amount of rain. I’m looking for quality look, low maintenance and long life vs. low cost.

The roof is approximately 5 inches below the door sill so I plan on using 2x4 sleepers. On top I think I’d like to use a low-maintenance, wood deck (maybe Ipe). I think this would be pretty straightforward, but I don’t have experience building decks and imagine there are tricks to the trade that would really help out.

Pictures attached & dimensions.

Questions I have:

SLEEPERS
1) I was thinking about using a composite material for the 2x4 sleepers (such as Trex) so that it won’t warp and for long life. Is this the best choice?
2) Is 16” spacing OK for sleepers? Any benefit to going with 12” spacing?
3) Any suggestions on best way to level the sleepers? With the slope and cricket, I’ll need different height shims (up to 2” of height difference I’ll need to account for). I figured plastic shims would work best. Any suggestions on what to use for long life and compatibility with torch down roof?

DECKING
4) Suggestions on best decking to use? I’d prefer to use wood, and want something that looks good and has relatively low maintenance.
5) Hidden fasteners or not?
6) Any suggestions on how far to space boards?
7) Should I be worried about being able to access underneath the deck for occasional clean-out? There are no trees over (and just one tree close to the deck) so very few leafs blow onto it.

Thanks.

Attached Images    
Old 12-05-18, 08:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Have never built anything like this but here is some input.

SLEEPERS
1) You need structural support for deck so treated would work (see 3)
2) 16” spacing is fine
3) Would use 2x4 close to door, 2x6 further out, then 2x8 at far end, rip to correct height

DECKING
4) Composit, there is no wood that is low maintenance, you will never regret having to not sand, stain, or replace boards
5) Personal preference but hidden is the cleanest look
6) Not sure I understand
7) With time crud will collect, the nature of the deck is that it is not permanently attached so maybe big sections that can be tilted up, will be somewhat heavy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: