Screened-in porch security

Old 12-16-18, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screened-in porch security

Hey folks, hopefully I'm in the right forum. I'm purchasing a house with a screened-in deck/porch on the back, and I want to add some security so no one can simply get past the screen and be up on the house.

Can someone point me to other options beside screen -- is a thicker, but decorative, wire material an option?

I had also considered adding studs so that nobody can pass through them, but this will block a lot of the view.

Thanks for the help getting my ideas going!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 01:41 PM
Meant to post picture...attached here.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-18, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
If you have an alarm system you could probably install a motion detector. You can't get a high level of security with screen wire.

Old 12-16-18, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
There isn't much you can do to secure a porch. You could add iron security bars but that would be a bit expensive and rather ugly.

Old 12-16-18, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think your best bet is to put in a nice bright motion sensor light in that porch. The screens are really just to keep out mosquitoes. I would advise against a heavier mesh as it is just more expensive to repair if it gets ripped (not that this has never happened to me....)

Old 12-16-18, 04:43 PM
Received 74 Votes on 69 Posts
I agree with Tratts. It's a porch/deck. Your security is the French door entrance to the house.

Old 12-17-18, 06:11 AM
Great, thanks. Good to know I'm not really overlooking any options.

I'll go with a motion sensor porch light and some serious locks on those French doors.

That, and my rifle.

Old 12-17-18, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
I wouldn't go to great expense on locks. Even with the best of locks on the doors any rock or brick will get someone in without much effort.

Old 12-17-18, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To Pilot Dane's comment: Especially through a sliding glass or french door. However if they really want in, they will rip apart your doorjamb damaging the door and the framing and you might end up replacing the door even if they don't get in.

Anecdotal notes: When our back door was broken into about 20 years ago I remember the insurance company informing us that they get fewer claims for doors with less glass in them. We had a sliding glass door and when the thieves smashed the pane to unlatch it, and again to remove the 2 x 4 blocking the bottom track, the track became filled with broken glass. When they slid it open, the shattered glass on the track jammed and destroyed the bottom track.

At our cottage that occasionally gets broken into, we began just leaving it unlocked to reduce the damage. Even then, some overzealous people tore through the screened in porch and kicked in the door. They made off with a cheap frying pan and a bag of no name chips.

Never had anyone try to break in while we or a dog are home.