Cost to add cement footings to deck/addition support columns

Old 12-27-18, 04:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cost to add cement footings to deck/addition support columns

We recently had a home inspection on a prospective property we want to buy. There is a deck and an addition that has support columns instead of a foundation. Around the perimeter of the deck and addition the support columns are on cement footings. The support columns that run through the middle of the deck and addition are just resting on the dirt which clearly is something that needs to be fixed. My question is, anyone have a ballpark idea of what a project like that would cost? I think it was around 5-6 support columns. The deck is about 4 feet above the ground so you can get under there but you can't fully stand up. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-27-18, 04:36 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
My first question. Does local ordinance or laws require that you have footer on those that do not have them? Is the sale of the property dependent on that being corrected? Can it be that the perimeter supports on concrete footer is all that is necessary and may be the seller just added those as additional non mandatory support?

I suppose the only way to properly dig holes to add footers to those supports is to remove the decking to gain access. Sounds doable and not too expensive. Very much a DIY project.

Old 12-27-18, 04:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am unaware if the local laws require cement footings or not. I have a question into the sellers looking for some type of explanation. The home inspector said it was going to cause it to collapse tomorrow or anything but it something that should be addressed. In the addition room he pointed out some small cracks forming that could be from the inadequate support.

Old 12-27-18, 08:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Typically, cost is best assessed by getting three or more local bids, as there are often variables we cannot predict remotely.

Old 12-28-18, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
We really can't even guess about the cost. You didn't complete your profile so we don't know where you are located. Repairs like that are much more expensive in Brooklyn than they are in the rural south where I am. Also, we can't see your house, the problem areas and you didn't even say how many piers will need footers. You really need to get some bids from local contractors that can actually see the house your considering.

Old 12-28-18, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
also your location determines how deep the footers need to go. A lot cheaper to add footers in the south than it would be up north.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: