Question about Hogwire deck rail

Old 01-24-19, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about Hogwire deck rail

I am going to be replacing the rail around my deck soon and I am leaning toward using the hogwire like I have seen used around town.

Is this the same kind of wire used to reinforce concrete? Is there a special kind I should use for deck railing? Maybe it comes in different guage wire?

Do I have to treat it at all before installing it?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-19, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 218 Votes on 203 Posts
Look for deck cable railing. Most box stores will have kits that are stainless steel. Keep in mind that the code for such things is that no 4" sphere may pass. Post are available with the holes provided to make life easier.

Old 01-24-19, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
No, hog fence has much thicker and stronger wire than most concrete reinforcing. The fence is available in different gauges but most are pretty heavy duty.

One thing to consider is if you want it to rust. Most hog fencing is not coated and will rust. I think it's attractive when it rusts but it can leave a stain on decking. If you don't want it to rust I would look for hot dip galvanized. It will be more expensive but it would be worth it to avoid the rust.

Old 01-24-19, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
I really don't think he means hog fencing, but I could be wrong. Unless that's popular now in the classy part of NC... or Arkansas or Nebraska... lol

Old 01-25-19, 04:33 AM
XSleeper, you say you don't think I really mean hog fencing, and you may be right. I have just heard it referred to as Hogwire. If you can tell me the correct term that would be great. Here is a pic of what I am talking about. It was installed at our Pro Shop this past summer.

I am going to try to attach a pic. Hopefully it will work.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-19, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, that's hog fence gone all fancy and city like.

Old 01-25-19, 06:20 AM
The thing I like about it is that it doesn't block view as much as some others. If you have any other suggestions for types that don't block the view while still keeping the cost down I am always open to suggestions.

Old 01-25-19, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Wow. Well that's something new. But I still think you should consider Deck cable railing instead.

Old 01-25-19, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Hog fence is cheap as well as quick and easy to install so I doubt you'll anything less expensive plus style wise it is "in style" and popular now. Stainless steel cable also doesn't block the view but it's a premium product and more expensive.