Paint aggregate additive for diamond plating

Old 02-15-19, 10:07 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Paint aggregate additive for diamond plating

I work for marina and the bottom of our gangway ramps have a diamond plating that has been previous painted with anti-slip paint, though this paint does not contain any aggregate.

I've been looking at different types of coatings with aggregate - epoxy - but those require the surface needs to be stripped down to bare metal.

I'm considering adding a course aggregate to the existing paint we have but I'm trying to figure out what size/coarseness of aggregate would work best.

The paint in question is latex paint, not a two-part. I've used Shark Grip for wood on the docks but I want something more course for this location.

I have considered buying sheets of material that have aggregate in them but they are costly, but may end up being the best solution.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 02-15-19, 01:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't really have any suggestions but usually any grit that is added to the paint will wear off in the high traffic areas - where you need it most.

Old 02-15-19, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I've used clean play sand with good results.
It's much cheaper than some of those custom slip resistant additives.

I've found that the paint must be constantly mixed while using it.

Old 02-16-19, 07:07 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
PJ: were you mixing the play sand into the paint or where you applying a coat and spinkling the sand on and then recoating when the base coat dried?

Old 02-16-19, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I was mixing it directly in the paint.

Old 02-17-19, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never used actual play sand but the paint stores sell a sand additive that I've mixed into the paint. Depending on how much you have to paint [or if you are slow] you may need to stir the paint along the way as the sand will settle. It settles quicker in some paints more than others.

While sprinkling the sand over wet paint does work it's difficult to get it applied evenly and the some of the sand won't bond with the paint as well as it does when mixed in with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: