Clear Width (Stairs) Question

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-19, 08:24 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Clear Width (Stairs) Question

One of the sets of stairs on the deck I'm designing is up against the house such that there is only one railing. Problem is there is a downspout on the house side. I planned on offsetting the left stringer for clearance and notching the tread around it, but I'm not sure if this will pass inspection. There's a minimum clear width of 36" from the inside face of the rails (in my case the face of the house and inside face of the right rail), and with the downspout, the width at that particular section, albeit very minor, will be about 32". Do you think an inspector will fail me for this? There really isn't any other way to route the downspout without it looking ridiculous. Also compounding the problem is a handrail on the right side, if needed (there are four risers from platform to deck surface), which has a minimum required perimeter of 4". This would result in a clearance of 28" between downspout and handrail (handrail not shown in sketch). County drawings indicated a minimum width of 31.5".

My drawing:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/kkozx...tair1.jpg/file

County drawing:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/r288i...awing.jpg/file

I could maybe squeeze an inch or two more width into the design, but I'd be pushing it. I'm already up against property setbacks, and I'd hate to design my deck around a stupid downspout. If I modified my design, I could maybe get to the minimum 31.5" handrail clearance. I'd have to sketch it out, but this may also require installing the top/bottom rails on the stairs flush with the posts. I don't really want to do this either because then they wouldn't line up with the rails on the deck.

Crap....those measurements are taken off the foundation wall, so I need to deduct another 1" for sheathing and siding. I may need to just remove the downspout and let if magically reappear after I pass inspection

Last edited by mossman; 03-12-19 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-19, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I got approval on my drawings this morning. The engineer recommended I re-route the downspout and put it elsewhere, so that's what I'll do. He was concerned because it would have been at the top of the steps. If it were at the bottom, he wouldn't have had an issue. He also made a good point that it would eventually get dinged over the years from getting bumped into/kicked.

Closed Thread