Design deck footings for future porch roof

Old 04-04-19, 08:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Design deck footings for future porch roof

I'm designing and building an uncovered deck but we may hire a contractor in the future to add a roof. Does this only affect my footers? Is there a reference for how much larger to make my footers to accommodate this extra load? I don't see anything in the DCA6. Should I just design and build for the deck and add extra footers if/when the time comes to do a roof?

thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 04-04-19, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
We have no idea regarding the loads that would be placed on your footing. That's the type of stuff that you pay a structural engineer to tell you or you might ask your building inspector what they would like to see there. However building inspectors shy away from giving structural advice... that's not their job. You could also ask your potential construction company... they will probably just overbuild it to be safe.

Old 04-04-19, 09:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. When you say overbuild you mean build on new footers that extend beyond the deck footprint?

Old 04-04-19, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'm talking about beefing up the size, thickness, and ampunt of rebar that is needed in a footing and pier that is going to be holding more than just a deck. (Roof and snow load)

Unless you know what you are going to be building on top its kind of hard to know how to build any of it... what size beams, what is the span of those beams, where will footings need to be based on that span, etc.

Plus you likely need to submit a plan to get a permit... future plans need to be included on that plan. Doing it right from the start will save you headaches down the road.

Old 04-04-19, 09:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
The thing about future additions and footers are that you have to prove what your footers are in the ground. Even if you put in the appropriate footer when you expand in the future the inspector will want to see the footers unless you have what's in the ground documented and inspected. Having drawings and an inspection now might suffice but I would talk with your inspections dept to make sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: