Screen porch decking layout

Old 04-05-19, 08:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screen porch decking layout

I am building a 12x16 deck that will eventually become a screened porch. I plan to add the "walls", trusses, and roofing later.
In the meantime, I have questions about my deck layout. I live in north FL and will be building low to the ground. Planning to put in concrete footers at 18" deep X 10"diameter.
My plan is to span the 16' length with double 2x12s on the outside and down the middle (3 beams) using 2x12x16 nailed together, then use 2x10 joists on hangers at 24" intervals. The 12 side will also have doubled 2x12s. The decking will be either 5/4 or 2x, not sure which just yet.
I have four footings planned for the length of each side - corner, 6', 11' and corner on one side; corner, 5', 11' and corner on the other side. It is offset because of where a patio will intersect. Footings will also be at the ends of the 16' center beam supporting both the beam and the center of the 12 end, with an additional footing in the center of the beam at 8' from either end.
I am wondering, does this seems sturdy enough to support the wall and roof structure planned for later? Do I need to add more footings for the center beam?
If this is overkill I am good with that too.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-19, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 670 Votes on 620 Posts
Please read this similar thread... the reply to your questions will be about the same, assuming you have a local building department or permit office. DIY is fine but you need to do it correctly and the first step is planning and permits. We also aren't going to provide structural engineering advice for free. Any armchair carpenter could say your plan looks good but unless you have a stamped and approved plan, advice doesn't mean much.

The DCA6 deck guide only covers decks, it doesn't include buildings and roofs built on top. Additionally you likely have hurricane requirements that most of us probably aren't familiar with..

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/d...orch-roof.html