Replacing deck lattice

Old 04-12-19, 07:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing deck lattice

Hi everyone -

We moved into our first home a couple years ago and I am just now getting to fixing up some of the backyard issues. I wanted to rip out the landscaping around the deck and replace it but once I started, I realized the lattice along the deck is a mess and needs replacing too. See the pictures below.

I want to get rid of the old lattice and put in basic vinyl lattice - nothing crazy. Now here's my problem: all the tutorials on lattice install/replacement show decks that already lend themselves to the job. The decks in the tutorials all have some sort of structure underneath the outer edge that you can attach the lattice to so that it ends up flush with the deck or even set in a bit. In other words, it looks natural.

My deck though doesn't have anything that will naturally take the lattice -- all the posts are far underneath and there's no other structures underneath to attach it to but the bottom edge of the deck. I'm afraid I'm going to have to just tack the lattice directly onto the outside of the deck and it will look sloppy. Even if I add trim or capping, it look like its just thrown on top instead of built in naturally. Is there any chance this turns out okay? Is there anyway to do this nicely? Any tips based on what you see in the picture below? If you notice, the area I am trying to cover with lattice is only about 15 inches or so.

FWIW I am not so handy but willing to learn and give it a shot.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-19, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
Slip it behind the rim joists and fasten it.

Old 04-12-19, 08:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silly question -- how do I fasten them? Once in place, I won't be able to reach behind to fasten as far as I can tell.

Old 04-12-19, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
If you're skinny, you crawl under the deck. If you're not, you hold it in one hand and put a screw through the rim joist and through the lattice with the other. Composite deck screws would probably work best if you predrilled an 1/8" hole in the rim joist. You only need a few fasteners in it... every 24" or so. A few short stakes in the ground would prevent the bottom from kicking in... or dig a furrow and bury it... or both. Nice thing about vinyl lattice, it won't rot.

Where the joists are behind the rim, you just notch the lattice around them.

Old 04-13-19, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What I did on my porch was build a frame out of PT 2xs and attached the lattice to it. A couple of screws hold it snugly between the block piers.

Old 04-13-19, 05:26 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
Do you really want them, never been a big fan of lattice myself, might look cleaner without!