11 Year Old Composite Deck

Old 04-13-19, 05:12 AM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
11 Year Old Composite Deck

We always have a lot of discussion regarding the benefit/cost of installing composite decking and I'm a big supporter that the initial cost is really a lifetime savings.

So last weekend I gave my Timbertech deck it's annual spring cleaning and thought I would add a picture just to show how well it's held up.

11 years old this summer, never had to sand, stain, replace boards. Never a second thought about walking around barefoot. No stains, no scratches, no rot, no splits.

I'm sure there is some fading if I dug up a piece of the original decking but I wonder how many hours of maintenance I have saved over it's life to date and for the next 11 years!

I only wish I had done the same for the railing pieces, the vertical surface of the lower rail need some touch up!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1555157164

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-19, 06:36 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Marq,

I can't argue with you. It's just that not everyone cares for the "plastic" look and feel. And to be honest some people like to do that yearly maintenance. As far as a deck or porch goes I think vinyl material is fine. I do draw the line on fencing. I've seen way too many vinyl fences broken, cracked and non-fixable (expensive) as opposed to wood. As a long time owner of several fences, I have been able to fix, or replace wood fencing cheaply and quickly.

Just a side note. Recently a customer came into our store and asked how to fix a vinyl porch/deck rail. I asked what happened? He said it cracked along the edge. To replace was way too expensive and he wanted some type of glue or mastic to fix it. Isolated case I'm sure.

My son has contracted to have his old, rotting porch and rail replaced with vinyl. A good choice for him since he is disabled. But previously he had planned to rebuild it himself with wood. And I think he would prefer that if it was possible.

Old 04-13-19, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
It's nice your deck still looks good after 11 years. I have been on many a composite deck that looks horrible from expansion and contraction, with sagging composite handrails and curled up butt joints. Some of the bargain composites people got from certain box stores have not held up as well as your deck has. I think many of the products used today are better than they were 10-20 yrs ago when composite was new. Some of them fade horribly.