Adding a deck to house w/a lowered addition

Old 05-29-01, 01:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I will be obtaining a spa soon, and plan on building a 16' x 21' x 14' deck coming from my sliding glass door, from the addition, and wrapping around the spa. The spa will sit against the back of the original house, along the 21' length, which sits at a typical foundation heighth. The previous owner of this house made an addition of a pure slab of concrete which sits almost a foot lower than the original house. Stepping out of the glass door, there is a 7'3" x 3' concrete step sitting almost directly underneath the sill of the door. This step stands at 7.5" high from the lawn area that I want to cover with a deck. (This addition also gives me different lengths in siding)

I am searching for some opinions on what I should do to build a deck here. I want the deck to be flush with the concrete step, so that when you come out the door it looks as if it was built that way. Thus meaning that I either use 2x6" boards for my ledger boards and shoot them into the step and the foundation and also use joists of the same size. Or, would it make more sense to excavate the area of the lawn that I want to cover with the deck and build it properly with concrete posts and larger ledger and support beams.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this matter and appreciate your time. Also, if you need more details just let me know and I will give any information you need.

Again,
Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-01, 05:59 PM
Visiting Guest
does nobody have any tips or hints ?

I am new at this, so I need all the help I can get.

Old 06-02-01, 06:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm having a similiar probelm...

I'm getting read to build a deck, and like yourself, I'm trying to figure my way around a problem.

There is about an 8" clearance from the bottom of my sliding glass door, to the ground. I was told to double up on the 2 x 6 joists in order to add the support lacking from not having a beam, and to crutch between the joists. Whether or not this would work, I have no idea. I came to this forum to hopefully get some advice also.

Old 06-03-01, 01:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for at least responding

Thanks JMac for at least replying to my post. I see how many people have read it, or at least looked at it, and wonder why, out of all these experienced builders, not a single one has some sort of advice or response. It makes me wonder if I'm just naive or if this is really a problem that people do not encounter often.

I keep going over my design of the deck and try to figure out a way to run support beams without having to dig or run a ton of piers. So, I am still in the design stage and will not proceed until I know the exact steps I'm going to take. I have a friend who's a building inspector/architect and plan on running the plans by him... we'll see what happens and if I come across anything that's extremely relevant in this situation, I will make sure I post it for all to know .

Again Thanks,
J. Britton

Old 06-03-01, 07:46 AM
Visiting Guest
frustrating

I can understand your frustration lopears. Maybe no one on this board has any answers to our similiar question.

I find it hard to believe that ours is a unique problem.
I talked with a guy at 84 lumber yesterday, and mentioned doubling up on the joists. He either seemed to think that would work, or he just wanted to make a sale.
Anyway, I'm gonna do a bit more research to see if I can find a better solution. I'll keep you informed, and would appreciatte it if you'd do the same. Maybe we can figure this out.

JMcGuire

Old 06-04-01, 12:34 AM
Visiting Guest
the best i can say with out looking at the propertys guy is and i know its not a lot -do double up the joists and make then 12 inch on center ! and use 2x4 or 2x6 decking you might talk to the building depts of your town-or township for more advise ! those hot tubs are heavy even with out water and water is like 7.5 pounds a gallon but i may be wrong it might be 9 pounds a gallon and yout talking on avg.350 -450 gallons per tub !plus your weights !

Old 06-04-01, 12:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I do not plan on putting the tub on the deck, I plan on building the deck around the tub.

Old 06-04-01, 01:21 AM
Visiting Guest
lopears you have mail
you can e-mail me at
[email protected]

Old 06-11-01, 07:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Go to Deckplans.com - it's a floating deck system using piers.

I just installed a 12 X 16 deck this past weekend using this method with a similar problem, the slider had 4" drop to the ground - had to dig quite a bit to install the Dek Blocks but once we got the hang of it, no problems. Good luck