Shed Foundation is Not Square - Flooring already attached :(

Old 06-10-19, 05:45 AM
Unhappy Shed Foundation is Not Square - Flooring already attached :(

My sister and I built a shed foundation over the weekend AND attached the flooring already. Finally picked up the shed manual and read to check for the foundation to be square and found that it is off by 2inches!! Is it too late to use the ratchet method? What are my options? It's my first major build and only being put together by 2 girls who want to make their mother happy after the recent death of our brother. Maybe we bit off more than we can chew, but giving up is not on the board!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-19, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

We need more info on how the foundation and floor are constructed. Is the flooring planks or plywood? how is it attached to the joists?
pics could be helpful - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc-9/

Old 06-10-19, 06:50 AM
Thank you! I apologize for the lack of detail. The foundation is made of 2x6's and with plywood flooring making up a 10x12 foundation. I believe I used 3.5in nails at each joist. The foundation sits on 3 4x6s (which I already secured to the foundation with 3.5 nails. Those 4x6s sits on cement blocks.
I apologize for not having a better photo as my mom lives over 2 hours away and I visit on weekends to complete the project. This is the best that I have for now.

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  125.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-10-19 at 07:18 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Old 06-10-19, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be real hard probably impossible to square up the framing with the plywood attached. What type of shed kit are you using? can it be altered to fit what you have? if not, you'll need to pull up the plywood.

Old 06-10-19, 09:24 AM
Welcome, and sorry for the loss of of your brother. You start from the ground, obviously, and go up, and almost everything you do from here on is going to be affected, so good that you caught it. So first off, give yourself and your sister an A+ for initiative, and for recognizing an error when you did! But "off by 2 inches" by itself isn't really enough to go on. How good are the two of you with tape measures, and how is your geometry? Only guessing, but you are going to set a prefabricated shed on this floor? And they maybe gave you diagonal dimensions? The first thing I would do is double check the length of each side of your floor. It sounds easy enough to do, but even those who handle a tape measure every day read a number wrong every once in a while. Then check corner to corner. Remember A squared plus B squared equals C squared? So the length of one of the long sides times itself, plus the length of one of the short sides times itself, equals the length of the diagonal times itself. Take the square root of those numbers added together (your smart phone has a calculator), and you'll have the length that the diagonal should be. The bottom line is that being a little long on one side and a little short on an adjacent side is going to affect the diagonal dimension. So it could be that it is "racked", or out of square, which is going to mean pulling your plywood loose and squaring it up. Or it could be that one of your sides is short or long for whatever reason, in which case you might get by loosening one or two pieces of plywood, adjust your framing, and be on your way.

Old 06-10-19, 09:58 AM
Don't panic.

Question 1- Are you doing "pre built" (having a shed delivered) or are you doing "stick built" (you're building it out of lumber) or something in-between (builder is delivering pre-fabbed walls and trusses?

Question 2- What measurement is off by 2"?

A foundation is supposed to be SQUARE, but being DIAMOND shaped by 2" is workable; even having a wall that is off by 2" can be remedied over that sort of distance.

What are the measurements from A, B, C, and D.

A---B
| \/|
| /\|
C---D

Old 06-11-19, 06:19 AM
It looks from the photo that you have the floor framing and flooring plywood installed. Is this correct?

Is the 2 inch difference you mentioned a diagonal measurement of the installed floor?

On further inspection of the photo, I believe you have installed the plywood parallel to the floor joists. This is not the best way.

I think your best bet is to remove the plywood floor, square the floor framing, and re-install the plywood perpendicular to the joists.

aka pedro liked this post.
Old 06-11-19, 06:59 AM
With the photo rotated, it looks like it's a 12' x 10' shed.
That's three sections of 4' plywood, while the 8' dimension looks to have about a 2' gap.

Old 06-11-19, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I missed that while turning my head to see the picture, but Wirepuller's right, the plywood should be running across the joists, not with them. Definitely not what you want to hear, especially since you used pneumatic nails, and likely ring shank, but you may very well be best off by pulling up the plywood. It's not going to be the easiest part so far, and you're no doubt going to have some damage, but it shouldn't take much after that to square your framing, relay the plywood, and be back on track. And fret not, it's far from the first time someone had to redo something like this, but it will make it stronger and much easier to deal with whatever you are going to put on it.