Close 3" x 42.5" gap at side of cement condo balcony

Old 06-14-19, 09:48 AM
Close 3" x 42.5" gap at side of cement condo balcony

I live on the ground floor of a condo building and there are gaps on the sides of the walls that squirrels and other critters can come through. Last summer I attached 3M Command hooks and garden netting to enclose the area but I still have the gaps at the sides which need to be tidied up.

I attached flooring tiles to a rod and attached them with anchors and screws to the wall on one side of the balcony but the other side has a much smaller gap so that solution won't work. I currently have a small board covered in netting wedged in there but it looks terrible and it's not an ideal solution.

Ideally I'd like to replace that board by attaching or inserting a material that is see through as my cat loves to sit there and look out onto the grounds. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I can do here?

This condo was built in 1972 and has a concrete balcony with a brick wall. The gap I'm looking to fill is 3" wide x 42.5" high.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-19, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Best would be a section of heavy glass. It would look classy, be durable and your cat can see through. Unfortunately it's a bit expensive. Acrylic or polycarbonate which are less expensive but are more easily scratched.

Old 06-14-19, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Pilot Dane. I'm going to speak with the property manager and see if there are any limits on what I can do. Glass would look great but I don't know that it is practical for such a small spot.

Old 06-15-19, 03:56 AM
Group Moderator
I've seen many installations of long heavy glass strips as narrow as 6".

Old 06-15-19, 04:36 AM
May not be a permanent solution but I'd take the screen material, or something new and similar, and roll it up and put that in the gap to close it off!

Old 06-15-19, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Marq1. I'm going to look at small hexagon chicken wire today which I can cut and fit into the spot. Also considering a long flat clear plastic container that I can cut a piece to fit from. Seems to be less cost for a bin than for a sheet of acrylic or polycarbonate.