Flashing

Old 05-30-01, 04:41 AM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I plan on building a deck, first one. Do you really need flashing between the post and the concrete?? I've seen decks that have the 4x4 buried 4' into the ground.

Also, I'm having a hard time picturing how to do the vinyl siding around the ledger board. I can't seem to find a site that shows how to do this. Does anyone know of a site??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-01, 04:42 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Personally, I NEVER bury the posts in concrete. I embed a Simpson post base in the concrete and attach the post to that. If a post ever needs to be changed, it's a very doable thing. Ever tried to replace a 4X4 that is buried in 4' of concrete? (It's almost guaranteed to be rotten in about 15 years!)

If you have vinyl siding, I would make the deck free-standing, leaving about an inch between the deck board and the siding. If you really want to attach the deck, via a ledger, remove one or two rows of the siding as needed, attach the ledger to whatever is under the siding, use J-channel around the ledger, then cut the siding to fit into that J-channel. Leave about 1/4" between the vinyl siding and the J-channel so the siding has room to expand and contract, and leave the nails that the siding hangs on about 1/4" away from the nailer so it (the siding) can move.

Old 05-31-01, 05:17 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm also building a deck with vinyl siding. My neighbor had the builder do his, and they just bolted teh ledger board through the siding and into the house band. I wouldn't recommend this, but it's an option.
Matt

Old 06-02-01, 02:53 AM
L
The way the builder did it (bolting through the vinyl) is fast, but in doing so, he probably voided whatever warranty there may have been on the siding. I doubt that he took the time to predrill the holes thru the siding and make the about 1/4" larger than the bolts he was using. This would give the siding the space it needs to expand and contract as it will. Simply driving the bolts through the siding will pin it solidly in place, which will result in it buckling or tearing when it needs to expand and contract.

Old 06-02-01, 01:29 PM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Hey Lefty,
If I use J-Channel on top of the ledger board won't rain collect in the channel??

R

Old 06-03-01, 02:35 AM
L
A J-channel across the top of the ledger would collect a slight amount of rainwater, but the water will run off of the ends rather than sit in the J-channel. As long as the J is installed properly, it won't be a problem.

Old 06-04-01, 05:15 AM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty,
One last thing. The J-Channel goes on top of the first deck board, right?
So now when I cut the vinyl siding out, will I need to measure 1" above the ledger board to account for the deck board??

[Edited by Sopman on 06-04-01 at 03:00]

Old 06-05-01, 10:17 PM
L
No, I would simply "J" around the ledger itself and put the siding in place. Attach your deck joists to the ledger with Simpson LU26 (or similar) joist hangers. Once you start laying deck boards, put the first one next to (about 1/4" away) the siding, and work out from there. That way, if you need to replace a deck board, it's not buried under the J-channel.