Deck Lattice - A Geometric Nightmare...

Old 07-03-19, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Lattice - A Geometric Nightmare...

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with getting some lattice work up on my existing deck. What I thought would be an easy job has become anything but...the pictures below will show you what I mean. It's a geometric nightmare on every level.

Please let me know what you guys would do to install the lattice easily with this setup in a way that doesn't have a bunch of exposed posts (which just looks awful in front of or even behind the lattice.

Here's just a few of the problems:[LIST][*]The angles: The rim joists are at 45 and 90 degrees, but the posts aren't square (see pics). Add to that the ground has a slope in half the areas. [*]The segments of the deck are all different lengths and none only 2 are less than 8', meaning multiple lattice panels on pretty much every side. [*]There's no place to attach the lattice. I tried adding a 2x4 cut in half below the rim joist fascia boards, but it just looked terrible as did the posts. [*]I'm not sure how to build the frame for the lattice. I've got plenty of the old synthetic board (which is pretty much the only thing I have going for me). I've considered a lap joint to connect the sides of the lattice frame behind the top side and bottom side, but I don't know if that would be strong enough to handle wind and what not.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-19, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 186 Votes on 175 Posts
Get treated 2x4 and install it horizontally behind your rim joists so that half of it extends below the rim joist . Get treated 2x4 and place it horizontally between your posts, at ground level. Add vertical 2x4s between as needed. Then mount your lattice on that. Shouldn't be too tough.

jdlev voted this post useful.
Old 07-03-19, 07:12 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Agree and have a few tips to add.
I only use PVC lattice so it does not fall apart and rot.
I use PT 2 X 4's laying flat and use a Kreg tool with there ACQ approved screws, I also use solid black stain on the 2 X 4's so they seem to disappear once the lattice goes up.
Install the 2 X 4's about 6" above grade so they do not rot out.
If the span is longer then 8' add a vertical 2 X 4.
If you do use vinyl predrill the holes larger then the screw size, use the white heading screws sold at any Lowes or HD and never tighten them tight!
Where your outside odd ball angles are you can use a simple bevel gauge to set up a table saw to rip some 1 X 4 PVC lumber or better yet a Starrett gauge like this, https://www.zoro.com/starrett-miter-...0FoQ&gclsrc=ds

Old 07-04-19, 01:55 AM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
I'll be the dissenting voice, I think lattice looks cheap.

Id spend the time and clean up the underside, add rocks under, and get the beds re-done!

Old 07-09-19, 02:54 PM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Vertical boards or fencing makes good skirting.

https://successfulworkplace.org/deck-skirting-ideas/

Old 07-18-19, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I might have enough left over planks to do the 'fencing' style design around the base, similar to this:

I'm gonna photochop an image or two of the deck to see what it looks like first to test it out. The thing that really makes that fencing look 'pop' is that white trim...really dig it. Ours wouldn't look anything like that with the black rail on top of the grey/blue rim joists and then blue/grey planks below that.

Old 07-18-19, 03:42 PM
Surprisingly, the renderings turned out better than I thought they would. Would probably make the top rim joist fascia board thicker than the thin one in the renderings and add some step lights.

...best of all..I could take back the $380 worth of lattice I bought!

Old 07-18-19, 04:35 PM
Received 87 Votes on 78 Posts
1000% better looking than lattice!!