what to do with walkup area

Old 07-08-19, 07:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what to do with walkup area

Here are pics of our relatively useless walkup. Yeah the flowers are nice (now) but that's about it. The slab needs power washing 2x/yr. to get rid of the mildew since the upper deck shades it so much. We could put a cover underneath the deck but then that brings on a whole other set of maintenance/issues... We should also get a structural engineer out to see if the retaining wall is good (it's bowing quite a bit).

So what are some other ideas to make this space more useable? We've never really used it at all since it's pretty uninviting.
thanks!

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  127.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-19 at 05:19 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-19, 07:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
In a large city a patio area like that would be a nice bonus.

Anything you do down in there is going to require regular maintenance. I assume it doesn't get enough sun to keep mold and mildew at bay. Add in the reduced air circulation and leaves dropping from the trees and it's always going to need some work. I think what you've done so far is quite attractive.

That might be a good area for a spa/hot tub. The retaining wall provides natural privacy but spa's come with their own bit of maintenance and you'd still have to keep the patio cleaned.

Old 07-08-19, 08:53 AM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
Was that a foundation for something at one time, looks like some type of joist/wall connections along the back wall?

Ever think about removing some portion and terracing it up and out, would open it up!

Old 07-08-19, 10:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane -- Yeah my wife has been hinting at a hot tub for awhile. The area does require maintenance.

Marq1 - The railing used to be on top of the wall. The connections you see are left over from that.
Removing the wall isn't an easy/very inexpensive option. It's about 15' from the wall is the septic field and there's a very large oak tree that absolutely loves the edge of the septic field (which is another whole problem in itself (roots in the laterals...)).

Sloping / dirt moving would be expensive -- the back yard slopes down to the house. Don't ask me why. That's another issue also with large/heavy rains.