Avoid Scratching Travertine Patio

Old 07-12-19, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Avoid Scratching Travertine Patio

My patio is made of travertine stone and every single piece of patio furniture seems to be scratching it from the patio chairs/table to the chaise lounges by the pool. Is their the equivalent of the protective feet put on dining room chairs that can be used?

Bonus question: One of the tiles is very loose. If I step on it, it has quite a bit of play and moves around. What can be used to "glue" it back down?

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-19, 04:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
Use the pads intended for the feet of chairs and tables. They are not indoor or outdoor. You may have to replace them yearly but they are cheap and easy to install and much better than scratching the travertine which really can't be fixed.

If a tile is loose lift it up. Carefully chip or scrape off any mortar on the tile and from the patio. Mix up a small batch of thinset and re-set the tile.

Old 07-13-19, 08:46 AM
i thought the same but they fall off.i assume others have his same problem so surprised there isn’t a clear solution.

Old 07-13-19, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
It all depends on what the feet of your furniture looks like and what pads you are using. If the feet are rounded and dirty and you just stick an adhesive pad on the bottom it won't last long. I found plastic cap like feet for my chairs.

Old 07-13-19, 02:40 PM
Yes rounded and dirty. I could glue the caps on but wouldn’t plastic feet cause damage ?

Old 07-14-19, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
If you have 300 pound people collapsing into the chairs like a plane landing on an aircraft carrier then there isn't much you can do. The chair is probably going to slide and make a mark. Even with feet dirt between the feet and tile will act like an abrasive and make a mark. Good feet and keeping the patio clean will minimize the damage but you don't pick Travertine for it's durability. It's a soft stone that scratches and stains easily.