Block Stairs Framing Question

Old 07-16-19, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Block Stairs Framing Question

I am in the process of building stairs with 2x8 pressure treated. I have to decided to go the block route as it is only three steps and will be resting on a patio of pavers. I am having an issue trying to figure out how to frame the corner as it will wrap around the existing slider that jets out slightly from the house. This is what I have come up with thus far. Nothing is fixed yet. I plan on using structural fasteners. There will be two more block frames, each slightly bigger to accommodate an additional step. There will be another section coming in from the top of the photo similar to the section coming in from the right in the photo. If I go with what I have shown, what is the best way to fasten the angled pieces that will cross to the long angled piece that comes off the main frame? Should I frame the corner differently? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Name:  Resized_20190714_185028_4076.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  37.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-16-19 at 08:37 PM. Reason: enlarged picture
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-19, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
I can't really wrap my head around what you are doing based on that one photo. We don't have the big picture.

I will say that stairs must not vary more than 3/8 from each other by code. So you need to figure out your total rise, then rip the 2x8s accordingly so that each rise will be equal. Your bottom layer will be ripped 1" less than the rest, assuming you're using 1" thick treads.

Old 07-16-19, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
I enlarged the picture which helped a little but I'm confused too.

Old 07-17-19, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for an end result similar to this . My concern is fastening the framing on the angles. Is this the proper way to frame?

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-19, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 178 Posts
Yes you can frame it that way but like I said you will need to figure out your exact rise height, divide it by the number of steps you have, account for the thickness of your treads, and rip your 2x8s accordingly so that each step is the same size. The bottom framing gets cut 1" less than the others if using 1" treads. Toenail your angled joists. And your pavers need to be perfectly level in order to frame this way. If they arent, you will need to pull them up under the stairs and pour level piers for it to sit on. Then put pavers back after the stairs are built.