deck coating

Old 07-18-19, 06:17 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
deck coating

I have a deck that the finish is wrinkling and peels off. the deck is about 12 years old. I don't remember what the original coating was. about three years ago we decided to refinish the deck. sanded and cleaned.. put on cabots, but it peeled the first year. the next year we tried a different dutch boy deck paint over that. now that wrinkles and peels just like the cabots. is there any way to put a surface on that will stay not knowing what the original coating was? maybe some kind of special primer or what do you think is the best approach for this?

Old 07-18-19, 07:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A pic of the decking showing the failed coating could be helpful.

Except for protected areas I wouldn't think much of the original coating would still be there. Was the Cabot stain a deck stain or just a siding stain? Was the DutchBoy a porch and deck enamel? that could complicate things. For a deck stain to wrinkle and peel that normally means some sort of prep or application error. Most good deck stains last 3-5 yrs.

Hard to say without seeing but you may need to strip off the existing coatings and start again.

Old 07-18-19, 10:31 AM
F
the cabots was a deck stain and the dutch boy was a porch and deck paint. I think you are probably right about starting over, but I thought maybe there was a primer of some kind that might take care of the problem. thanks

Old 07-18-19, 10:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Decks are the hardest part of a house to get a lasting paint job. The decking receives more weather than any other wood on the house along with rain/snow staying on it longer than it will elsewhere. Worst case scenario I'd apply a paint and varnish remover, let it set/work and then pressure wash. Repeat as needed but that should get most of it.

Old 08-15-19, 05:33 AM
F
finally ended up sanding all existing finish down to bare wood. now wondering what to use so I don[t have the same problem down the line. everything is cedar except the support joist which are treated. took off old finsih and now the weather turned cool and with lots of dew in the morning. how do you know if the wood is dry enough to finish? what is a good stain product that will last and you can go over it with the same stain when the wear spots get worn down?

Old 08-15-19, 05:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally dew doesn't take too long to dry off, generally mid to late morning although it does depend on how much sun or wind it sees.

Both latex and oil base stains can be recoated at any time but the waterborne stains have a recoat window that should be adhered to.

Old 08-15-19, 06:33 AM
F
was thinking of thompson water seal or stain. is it a good brand or do you think something better and more durable. which brands?

Old 08-15-19, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
TWS has a short life. Stikkens has a good reputation, I've gotten good results with SWP's DeckScapes.

Old 08-15-19, 08:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
TWS would be the last product I would use. Benjamin Moore has a good reputation for deck stain as well.

Old 08-18-19, 05:13 AM
F
thanks for all the information and help. I ended up with a deck coating from sherwin williams. I didn[t know what to choose so I told them the situation and they gave me some options.

frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: