Extending Deck Question

Old 08-15-19, 06:13 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extending Deck Question

I have a 10 x 10 deck that is sloped. I want to extend this deck to 14 x 24. I want the new deck to be level so I'm thinking of completely ripping out the old beam and all of the joists (If the old deck was built level I would reuse the old joists). Can I reuse the ledger if it looks Ok and is flashed properly? What about the holes from the nails from the old joist hangers. Do I need to fill them in or anything?

I'm going to install composite decking where the boards run parallel to the house so there will be gaps between the deck boards. I don't see any reason for sloping such a deck.

Old 08-15-19, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum and I'm not a carpenter but the ledger board is the key to holding the deck up and personally I would be replacing it.

Old 08-15-19, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You can, but I don't think it would be wise to build an entirely new deck around one old piece of lumber that is full of holes. Your probably saving $12. Plus adding a 4' ledger to it is not going to be as secure as replacing it with one that is continuous. Plus if you fastened any decking to the ledger from above, the ledger flashing has holes it it too, and should be replaced.

But it's your $, your deck.

Old 08-16-19, 12:54 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I don't see any reason for sloping such a deck.
All decks regardless of the material should have slope, it allows the water to drain off the boards!

Old 08-16-19, 07:49 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marq1. Patios yes. T&G deck yes. Sloping a composite deck allowing the water to run 5.5 inches or less before dripping below the deck seems utterly pointless. There is a gap between each board. No matter how much you slope it you’re only going to direct water 5.5 inches at most before it falls to the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: