Buildup house ledger for deck

Old 07-24-19, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buildup house ledger for deck

I am working to replace a deck that was attached to my house. Most of it has been removed. There are several places where I am sure the old deck did not meet code. The deck ledger does not fasten to the house ledger, the deck ledger seems to just be nailed to the plywood of the garage wall. This is shown in the enclosed image. If you look at the image in the lower left corner you can see the nail from the deck ledger and you can see that is is about 3 inches above the house ledger.

My question is, since all of the force from the deck is directly down, can I build up the existing ledger with 3 pieces of 2x4? This will bring the support high enough so the deck ledger can be supported.

I could nail the new ledger pieces to the existing house ledger to give it stability when the deck ledger is fastened to it.

Name:  hl.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  99.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-24-19 at 07:29 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-19, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 186 Votes on 175 Posts
Not without additional reinforcement. Proper deck attachment is illustrated in Figures 14, 19 and table 5 in the DCA6 (just google it... it's a free download).

If you stack additional plates up I bet a structural engineer would need to specify the fasteners.... either lags down through the entire plate assembly, or tico's that fasten the plate to each stud on each side.

And forces are not entirely down because a failing ledger will pull away (laterally).